As I See It

This month, we Quills decided to select a picture or pictures that represent some person, place or thing in our work. I decided I would go with pictures for a couple of my characters.

A reader recently asked me, if Oathtaker was a movie, who did I see playing the characters? For me, the real difficulty in this question is knowing that whatever celebrity names and faces I choose, someone will not like them. It is amazing what strong feelings we have about celebrities, either because of their past work, or possibly as a result of the bits and pieces we hear about their private lives . . . But I will give this a shot, nonetheless.

I thought I would start with my main character, Mara. Mara is a young woman who, by and large, I did not describe in Oathtaker - with one exception. I mentioned that she has a spattering of freckles across her nose. Dixon finds them amusing - attractive. The "face" I chose for Mara on my cover is that of Mybelin Hernandez. She does not have freckles, but I imagine if she ever played the part of Mara, we could add them. This is Mybelin reading Oathtaker:

Also, see the original photo used to make that cover:

Find more of Mybelin, and learn who I chose to represent Dixon (ladies, I think you will be pleased!) on my website here.

Next, we move to Robin Lythgoe, author of As the Crow Flies.

Here are Robin's comments:

The character Crow, from my novel, As the Crow Flies, is the obvious choice for this endeavor, so I'm going with him. When I wrote the book, I didn't have a picture sitting by my computer to prompt or inspire me, but I had a very strong sense of him. In fact, I didn't have a picture to represent Crow until after I started a Pinterest board for the novel. Crazy, right?

I found one fine-looking fellow, then another, then . . . my daughter came to me one day and said, "MOM! I know the perfect guy to play Crow!"

Find out more on Robin's website at http://robinlythgoe.blogspot.com/2014/08/picture-this.html.

Finally, Kristie Kiessling, author of Sanguis Dei, offers her thoughts.

I have always loved deep forests and mountains. It seems natural, then, that when I began to write stories, I would set them in such green and mystical old places of the world. Some of the most inspiring images in my head are things I have seen in this world: the ancient woods of Wales, the deep canyons and caves in Pennsylvania and Arizona. There are wonders to behold in our very backyards that strike me as otherworldly.

Find our more on Kristie's website at http://kristiekiessling.blogspot.com/2014/08/a-drift-of-quills-picture-this.html.

Thank you for joining us. Please stop by again.