Help Me Create My Bucket-List

I know a young woman who has a great ambition.  She wants to see a major league baseball game in the city and at the home field of each major league team.  I met someone years ago who has planned to go to the State Capital of every U.S. State.  I know of people who plan to visit numerous famous churches, from Notre Dame in Paris, to St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome, to St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Fifth Avenue in NYC.

Those are all laudable endeavors, but I thought it might be fun to have one of my own.  So, here it is:  I would like to see in my lifetime, the most beautiful and/or famous and/or significant libraries around the world.  I thought it would be fun to start with The George Peabody Library, shown below.

Have you got beautiful or significantly important libraries that you might recommend to me?  Of course, to be added to my list, the library must have public access.  Feel free to reblog or otherwise find a way to add your proposed library to my list.  If possible, tell me something about the library and why I should not miss it!

The following information about this library is found at http://www.peabodyevents.library.jhu.edu/history.html

"The George Peabody Library, formerly the Library of the Peabody Institute of the City of Baltimore, dates from the founding of the Peabody Institute in 1857. In that year, George Peabody, a Massachusetts-born philanthropist, dedicated the Peabody Institute to the citizens of Baltimore in appreciation of their "kindness and hospitality."

The Peabody Institute, according to George Peabody's charter, originally comprised a free public library, a lecture series, a conservatory of music and an art collection. The Institute is now a division of The Johns Hopkins University.

The Peabody Library building, which opened in 1878, was designed by Baltimore architect Edmund G. Lind, in collaboration with the first provost, Dr. Nathaniel H. Morison. Renowned for its striking architectural interior, the Peabody Stack Room contains five tiers of ornamental cast-iron balconies, which rise dramatically to the skylight 61 feet above the floor. The ironwork was fabricated by the Bartlett-Robbins Company. . . .

Reflecting the scholarly interests of the nineteenth century, the library consists of a general reference collection on virtually every subject but music. The library contains more than 300,000 titles most of which date from the eighteenth to the early twentieth centuries. Notable strengths in the collection are archaeology, British art and architecture, British and American history, biography, English and American literature, Romance languages and literature, Greek and Latin classics, history of science, geography, and exploration and travel including a large map collection. . . .

. . . Maintaining the provisions of Mr. Peabody's original gift, the George Peabody Library is a non-circulating collection open to the general public. The library is located at 17 E. Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore, MD 21202."