A Drift of Quills, August 2015

Greetings! Thank you for joining we Quills this month as we explore books we love.

Kristie Kiessling, author of Sanguis Dei, is currently unavailable, but you can find out more about Kristie on her site here.

That means that Robin Lythgoe, author of As the Crow Flies, is up next. So, Robin, what books do you love?

When I was a little girl, about ten years old, one of my book-loving big sisters gave me the book Scarlet Sails, by Alexander Green/Grin (Aleksandr Stepanovich Grinevskii in his native Russia). I knew nothing at all of his popularity in his country and would probably not have been impressed at such a tender age. Nothing about the book cover lured me to explore between the covers. But . . . it was a book. And, since I got it for my birthday, it must be a special book.

Read more from Robin on her site, here

It seems that childhood favorites is the theme this month. Thus, I have a book to share with you . . .

I came from a very big family. That is not so unusual for someone in my age group, but when I say "big family," I am laying claim to a rather exceptional one in that I have seven--yes, count them, seven--sisters. If that wasn't enough, the age span from oldest to youngest is only ten and a half years. We grew up in the middle of pretty much "nowhere," and had to find ways to entertain ourselves. We'd take out our instruments and have parades, play "Harriet the Spy" and spy on one another--complete with our spy notebooks, and we acted out pays. We also drew "moving picture" stories of books we loved. Essentially, this was to take a long roll of paper and draw the scenes end-to-end, then roll them out to show-and-tell the story. One of our favorites was Mio, My Son, by the Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren, first published in 1954. That book got passed back and forth between us all--repeatedly. Curious many years later about what it was that had so attracted our attention as children, I tracked down a copy and had another "look-see."

Read more here.