A Drift of Quills - July 2015 (in which I share a pic of my favorite pet, Flynn Rider, an English Cream Golden Retriever)

This month, we three Quills have selected the following topic: What unusual holiday celebrations (of independence or otherwise) do you use in your novels or writing?

Robin Lythgoe, the author of As the Crow Flies, has the following to offer . . .

I love the depth of creation behind world-building: the nitty-gritty, the if-this-then-that, the marriage of reality to imagination, the glimpses into the author's head. Adding holidays to a setting is a wonderful way to increase the dimension of our worlds, to help readers feel connected to the stories. Holidays (or days of observance) are uniquely human celebrations. In speculative fiction we have the freedom to broaden the baseline with other intelligent species . . .

Read more on Robin's site here.

Kristie Kiessling, author of Sanguis Dei, is currently away. Read more about Kristie and her work on her site at http://kristiekiessling.blogspot.com.

Finally, here are my comments . . .

I so enjoy the use of holidays and celebrations in fantasy tales. The festive environment adds an interesting aspect to the world created. I've seen such events used as backdrops when close personal relationships are formed, or as a means for hiding the dastardly deeds in which some parties engage. Having said that . . .

Read more (and see Flynn Rider) here.