March 2015 with A Drift of Quills

It is March already and in my neck of the woods, it came in with a mighty roar! Notwithstanding what goes on around us, however, this first Friday of at the month marks the day for we Quills to post a joint blog article. This month we are sharing thoughts on "books we love."

Welcome and thank you for reading.

Robin Lythgoe, author of As the Crow Flies, is up first.

My grandmother used to call me "Robin the Hood" when I was very little. I was understandably confused--and then I learned about the legendary Robin Hood. The nickname became something of a badge of honor, though I have no idea why she would compare me to a thief. I was innocent! Naturally, I read and watched several versions of the tale, but when I read Lady of the Forest, by Jennifer Roberson, I fell in love.

Read more here.

Kristie Kiessling, author of Sanguis Deo, is up next.

In 1995 an author team wrote Relic, a murder mystery/suspense novel about the New York Museum of Natural History in which paying customers to the museum wind up brutally murdered in the dark corridors and closed off rooms. Graduate student, Margo Green, believes the murderer might not be human.

Read more here.

Finally, I have a little to say . . .

While I love to read fantasy, I have not selected a fantasy story to share. Rather, I am going back in time to a great and timeless classic. Specifically, my choice is Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo.

I've heard people over the years say they gave up on Les Miserables, as a difficult read.  I suppose there is something to that. Yet I consider it the most incredibly beautiful tale ever written--the story, sure--but even more so, the manner in which it is told. It is like poetry--no . . . music . . .