Inspiration

It is time for the October posting for:

This month, with guest author, Joshua Grasso, we Quills tell a bit about what inspires our writing.

First up, is Joshua Grasso, professor of English Literature, and the author of The Count of the Living Death and The Astrologer's Portrait, both available on Amazon.

My ideas always come from the same source: usually a work of art, but sometimes, a stray moment or character from an old book. As a professor, I spend even more time than most people in books, and my teaching and research requires me to delve into all kinds of documents: epic poems, Renaissance art, odd biographies, scientific treatises, revenge tragedies, etc. As a teacher/scholar I'm looking for . . .

Read more here.

Next up, is Robin Lythgoe, author of As the Crow Flies.

Inspiration comes at me from every direction! Music, other books, news, dreams, conversation, pictures, quotes, you name it! Any of those things can easily set me to wondering how one of my characters might react or how the setting or culture or plot could be changed by employing the "what if" factor. They can spark ideas for new characters and settings, or generate an idea to help me fix problems. In fact . . .

Read more here.

Kristie Kiessling, author of Sanguis Dei and a poetry collection, Light and Dark, also chimed in.

My story ideas come largely from life. As a young poet of five, I heard my kindergarten teacher say, "Write what you love and what you know." Write What You Know has become a motto for me. I delve into the people I know, the places where I live, the situations and dramas around me to provide the fodder for my lyrical and literary creations. It is very simply, really. I'm a woman, an artist, a mother, a wife--all these things are in large part instinctual for me. The visceral manner in which I respond to everything I come into contact with inspires me. Emotion and reaction is key. If something moves me, then . . .

Read more here.

Finally, I have a few words . . .

My ideas come from numerous sources. Perhaps most notable are those bits of wisdom I've come upon over the years, either from some third party, or via some inspiration (or revelation, as the case may be). I like to take these gems and create characters out of them, or use them to move a character through my story or to draw and shape the world in which my stories are told . . .